Sail away on our ‘Sail Dive and Snorkel Liveaboard’
Welcome aboard our Sail Dive and Snorkel Liveaboard to the Great Barrier Reef! This two-day, one-night liveaboard sailing tour departs from the spectacular Cairns Marlin Marina every Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday.
You’ll enjoy a small group and access to a variety of spectacular Great Barrier Reef sites. This tour is ideal for snorkelers and scuba divers. Please note that there are no activities on the boat that would suit a non-swimmer or very small children, due to the small nature of the vessel.
Our tour offers low passenger numbers with a maximum of 12 guests. You will arrive as strangers and depart as friends.
Visit the famous Great Barrier Reef
Enjoy our uncrowded scuba diving and snorkelling reef sites. Get up close and friendly with the marine life. For the scuba divers amongst us, there’s even the option to go night diving on the Great Barrier Reef! Wind down in the evening enjoying a drink and a yarn with fellow travellers and crew.
This is one of the most intimate liveaboard tours on the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns. You’ll leave feeling part of our ‘Sail Dive and Snorkel Liveaboard’ family.
- Board the Sail Dive and Snorkel Liveaboard at 0745, finger A, berth 2, Marlin Jetty, for morning tea and greet the crew.
- We will motor sail to Cairns outermost reefs. Along the way, we conduct introductory and certified dive briefings and a marine naturalist brief.
- Arrive at our first Outer Reef location (possibly Flynn Reef). This site will be chosen to suit the range of in-water experience of our passengers. Depths will range from 5 to 28 meters giving divers a wide range of options. For the snorkeler, you’ll experience extensive coral gardens with an unbelievable amount of marine life. Expect to encounter turtles, small reef sharks and schools of fish. After in-water activities, enjoy lunch and afternoon tea.
- One of our Sail Dive and Snorkel Liveaboard staff will offer a guided snorkel tour for those interested in learning more about the reef. In the afternoon, the boat moves to its second location—possibly Milne Reef, home to the Three Sisters and The Whale. The Sisters is one of Cairns most famous dive sites and offers unsurpassed night and early morning dives. Depths range from 6 to 36 meters. Preparations for nightfall follow an afternoon dive or snorkel opportunity. After a brief, passengers undertake a night dive. Now it’s time to relax on deck and enjoy dinner.
- Watch the sunrise over the Coral Sea. This is the perfect time to snorkel or scuba dive as early morning is a fantastic time to see reef sharks, turtles and cruising fish. Enjoy breakfast on the deck.
- The boat departs to its next location. Generally, this location will offer the more experienced diver the chance to have a great drift dive (if at The Edge). Otherwise, expect a range of bommies and coral gardens at Hastings or Michaelmas Reef. Time for morning tea.
- After mid-morning, the boat will move to another site or reef. If the weather suits, we commonly go to 5 ways – at Moore Reef. This is Cairns best swim through dive. If to the north, we may visit Pretty Patches or Upolu where the protection from stronger winds makes it easier to dive and snorkel. These are shallower reefs with lots of soft coral and isolated bommies. If you are “activity-out”, this is also an excellent time to catch up on some sun tanning or relax, read a book and take in the stunning views. Enjoy lunch before departure.
- Upon leaving our anchorage, we hoist the sails. It’s common to have dolphins surf the bow wave and during the winter months, see humpback whales. The emphasis on the journey home is to relax and enjoy the company of new-found friends. Enjoy the spectacular view as we approach one of Australia’s most scenic harbours.
- The general Sail Dive and Snorkel Liveaboard itinerary allows for four day certified and one night dive, and three day intro dives with an optional night intro (conditions apply) or fourth day intro. Snorkelling is available at all times except at night.
- Certified dives
- Introductory dives
- Night dive
- Advanced course
- Referral course
What to bring
- One small overnight bag (no large backpacks)
- Sunglasses, hat, sunscreen and camera
- Warm clothes during the cooler months
- Cert card/logbook for certified divers
We have a passion for showing you Australia’s Great Barrier Reef. Please make sure you understand the scuba diving laws.
Queensland, Australia has some of the strictest scuba diving rules in the world. It also has the safest scuba diving record. The Queensland Government Code of Practice regulates us and comply with all regulations, including medical as is the law.
To avoid disappointment on your day of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete our dive medical questionnaire before booking.
Some medical conditions, age and/or medications may prevent you from scuba diving.
It is always our mission to provide our passengers with the very best Great Barrier Reef experience.
We are happy to help you with any questions you may have. Please contact our office on 07 4037 2700 or email us
Alternatively, you may like to consult your Doctor for a Dive Medical using the Australian Standard Forms ‘AS.4005.1
Flying after Scuba Diving
For a single no-decompression scuba dive, you should not fly or go to altitude for at least 18 hours. For multiple dives, you should not fly for 24 hours after your last dive.
If Skydiving or Hot Air Ballooning you must wait 24 hours after your dive.
We recommend waiting a minimum of 24 hours whenever possible.
- The Sail Dive and Snorkel Liveaboard is an adventure tour suitable for those who can swim, snorkel, dive or wish to dive.
- While we always try to do some sailing, due to the prevailing South Easterly winds, this usually occurs on the return part of the trip.
- We like to think that a small sailboat is always a more intimate experience than a motorboat but it is important to note, there are no activities on the boat that will suit the non-swimmer or very young children.
- There is an environmental management charge which you can pay once on board.
- There is a small extra charge to cater for dietary requirements.
- Please check with us for availability prior to booking. Contact our friendly reservations team on (07) 4037 2700 or email us.