Spirit of Freedom 4 night liveaboard to the world-famous Osprey Reef
Join Spirit of Freedom 4 night liveaboard on a dive expedition to remember visiting Osprey Reef Shark in the Coral Sea. Just imagine 1000-meter-deep walls, Caves, Reef Sharks, drift dives, Reef Sharks, gigantic gorgonian fans, and did we mention the sharks? Every scuba diver’s dream! Of course, this is the ultimate diving trip to cross off your bucket list.
Your Osprey Reef Shark Diving adventure begins with a low-level Scenic flight from Cairns to the secluded Lizard Island. Located 90 kilometres off the Queensland coast, you are certainly in for a treat with stunning ocean views as you fly low over the Great Barrier Reef. Finally, you land on the Lizard Island airstrip, where the dive team will welcome you on board for your Osprey Reef dive trip.
Before you set out on the 100-kilometre overnight cruise to the world-famous Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea, you’ll dive at the very top of the Ribbon Reefs. As soon as you hear the words “Dive Time”, it’s time to dust off your dive gear and get familiar with blowing bubbles again!
Osprey Reef is a historic volcanic atoll northeast of Cooktown. A deep ocean surrounds Osprey Reef. With this in mind, Osprey Reef offers some of the most phenomenal diving! Over the next two days, you will dive into Osprey Reef’s fantastic dive sites. Best known for its 1,000-meter walls, giant soft corals, incredible shark action, and not to mention exceptional visibility.
Sharks, Sharks and more Sharks!
Osprey Reef is home to a variety of Reef Sharks. Grey Reef sharks, Silvertip sharks, so many sharks! The rare oceanic convergence at ‘North Horn’ at the tip of Osprey creates a natural amphitheatre. So this is the ideal setting for the shark encounter, where you can see up to 50 sharks circling.
On the last day of the Osprey Reef Shark Diving Liveaboard, explore Ribbon Reef Number 3 or Bougainville Reef if the weather permits. Located south of Osprey Reef, this dive site is only accessible under excellent conditions. When diving at this Reef site, you will undoubtedly be in for a treat! Finally, while you are all tucked up in bed, we will steam the last leg of the trip back to Cairns to arrive in time for breakfast.
Spirit of Freedom also has 3-night and 7-night dive expeditions.
So the best part of your trip?
Dive, Eat, Dive, Eat, Dive, Eat and Sleep! For 4 Days!
- Luxury Dive Vessel
- Up to 15 dives along remote reefs
- Osprey Reef
- Shark Attraction
- Ribbon Reefs
- Scenic flight from Cairns to Lizard Island
- Chef prepared Meals
The Spirit of Freedom courtesy coach will pick you up from your Cairns city hotel at 7:00 a.m. and transport you to Hinterland Aviation at Cairns General Aviation Airport. First, you will board a light plane for a picturesque ride up the coast to Lizard Island, where your 4-night liveaboard dive tour will begin.
When you arrive, be greeted by the crew and travel across to the vessel by tender. Following a quick vessel tour, we will depart for Ribbon Reefs 9 and 10. We’ll be able to do two dives this afternoon to Challenger Bay, Lighthouse Bommie, Pixie Gardens, and Pixie Pinnacle, among other places. After dinner, we will set out in the dark for a 10-hour journey across the Coral Sea to Osprey Reef.
Monday and Tuesday
As long as the weather permits, we will spend two days diving at Osprey Reef. The Coral Sea reefs of Australia are known for their crystal clear water and 30 to 100 metres visibility. The scenery is breathtaking, with steep walls lined with gorgonians, sea whips, and bright yellow soft corals reaching hundreds of feet above the ocean floor. The Spirit of Freedom shark attraction dive is completed at North Horn. This point of Osprey is a spot where you can see grey reef sharks, silvertip sharks, and Hammerhead sharks if you are lucky! Each day will have four to five dives, including a night dive on Monday.
After the diving is complete and our bellies are full, we will depart Osprey Reef on Tuesday night for an overnight steam.
This morning we will wake up back on the Ribbon Reefs. Today’s plan is to dive the incredible Steve’s Bommie and a few other sites at Ribbon Reef Number 3. If we have phenomenal weather, we will head south to Bougainville Reef. It is notable for its distinctive underwater topography, caves, and the half-submerged wreck sitting atop the Reef.
Sooner or later, it will be time to start steaming home, sadly wrapping up our Osprey Reef trip. Enjoy a delicious farewell BBQ dinner with the crew.
Just as the sun peaks over the horizon, Spirit of Freedom will dock back at the Wharf at approximately 6:30 a.m. After enjoying a light breakfast on board, it is time for a group photo and to say our goodbyes.
- 4 nights Great Barrier Reef liveaboard accommodation onboard ‘Spirit of Freedom’.
- Up to 15 scuba dives along the remote Ribbon Reefs, as well as the remote Osprey Reef.
- A low-level reef scenic flight from Cairns to Lizard Island.
- Bus transfers to and from Cairns City accommodation.
- Wonderful chef-prepared meals daily.
- Complimentary wine and soft drinks with evening meals.
- Air-conditioned, en-suite cabins.
- Daily cabin service (including towels).
- Widescreen TV/DVD.
- Comfortable lounge areas and sun deck.
- Air-conditioning throughout.
- Snorkelling Equipment included
So what is not included?
- Full Equipment Hire
- Regulator and Dive computer
- Dive computer
- Buoyancy Control Device
- Torch and Cyalume sticks
- Wetsuits 3mm and 5mm full Length
- PADI Advanced Course
- PADI Nitrox Course
- 4 Day Nitrox Package
- Onboard purchases (drinks and souvenirs)
What to bring
Almost everything is taken care of but you will need to bring along:
- Personal luggage, clothes, toiletries etc
- Maximum 20 kg (45lb) luggage allowance per person including carry-on.
- Excess baggage secure storage available upon request
- Personal Dive Equipment. Full or Part Gear Hire available.
- Certification card or divers logbook
- Dive Insurance
- Cash or credit card for onboard purchases, Reef Tax & Fuel Levy to pay onboard (mandatory national park fees)
How to get there
Spirit of Freedom departs from the General Aviation Airport. Courtesy transfers are included from your Cairns City Hotel.
Safety Comes First!
- Advanced Diver Certification with a minimum of 20 ocean dives, including five dives in the last 12 months.
- Less experience may result in limited diving due to environmental conditions and remote isolation of dive sites.
- We recommend a Scuba diver Refresher course before your trip.
- Because we do not provide a full guided diving service, buddy teams are responsible for arranging and performing their own dives. A Great Barrier Reef Day Trip is recommended for guided dives.
- Diver Health. If you have a medical condition or are currently taking prescription medication, you will need a Dive Medical clearance under the Australian standard AS. 4005.1. Before being allowed to Scuba Dive.
- Maximum 20 kg luggage allowance per person, including carry-on. Excess baggage secure storage available upon request
- Please inform us of any specific dietary or other requirements upon booking
- Scuba diving is only available to Certified Divers with Open Water level qualification or higher.